MAIN TERMS & CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
Salary: £23,000 per annum, plus overtime and ‘Get Out’ payments
Hours: 39 hours per week (averaged across the year)
Evening, weekend and bank holiday working will be required
Holiday: 28 days per annum, including Bank Holidays, rising in line with the BECTU agreement
Pension: Derby Theatre operates a contributory pension scheme provided by NEST
Probation: This post is subject to a six-month probationary period
Notice: One week during probationary period, one month thereafter
Benefits: Complimentary or discounted tickets to selected shows (non-transferable and subject to availability), childcare vouchers scheme, free travel on University of Derby buses, discounted parking in Derbion car park, Saville’s Insights App for discount at selected Derbion stores.
Purpose of Post
The Technician (Lighting) is responsible, alongside the Head of Lighting, Sound and AV, for delivering all lighting aspects of productions and projects, both produced and received, to the highest possible standards. This includes rigging, focussing, and programming. The technical team at Derby Theatre works flexibly and the person filling this post will also be expected to work in all backstage areas as needed and to develop skills in those areas.
- To actively contribute to the effective operation of the Production and Technical department’s work.
- To work with the lighting designer and Head of Lighting, Sound and AV on our produced work, including programming shows, managing related paperwork and creating practicals when required.
- To assist the Head of Lighting, Sound and AV with responsibility for all lighting equipment, including storage, maintenance and annual inspections to comply with current Health and Safety legislation.
- To assist the Technical Manager with compliance with all relevant Health and Safety procedures and statutory regulations.
- To actively promote and understand the values and mission of the Learning Theatre, including delivering careers days, tours and other aspects of the learning programme.
- To provide the highest level of customer and audience care and service at all times.
- To lead and supervise casual staff as and when required.
How To Apply
1. Download an application form and equal opportunities monitoring form (these are combined in one document). You must fill in this form to apply as no CVs will be accepted. You must fill in this form to apply as no CVs will be accepted
2. If you want to answer the PERSONAL STATEMENT section as a video or audio file, please attach the files in an mp4 format, ensuring that they are no higher than 10MB or send via a we transfer link https://wetransfer.com/
3. If you can, please save the file as a PDF with your name in the file name.
4. Download the ‘Candidate Welcome Pack‘ to find out more about Derby Theatre and what you can expect as an employee.
5. Read our guide to ‘Applying for a job at Derby Theatre’ for information about the application process
If you need any support with this application or wish to ask any questions, please contact email@example.com (Technical Manager).
Closing Date: Midnight on Monday 26 February 2024
Interview Date: Tuesday 12 March 2024
Derby Theatre is currently undertaking a pay review to ensure that we are levelled with the local arts sector.
We aim to actively champion and celebrate diversity in all its forms. We are committed to equality of opportunity for all of those we work with and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, caring responsibilities, disability, gender, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
We positively encourage disabled people, people of African or Caribbean heritage, South Asian heritage, East Asian heritage, West Asian heritage, Central Asian heritage, Southeast Asian heritage and people of Middle East and North African heritage and those who have experienced racism. By the term ‘those who have experienced racism’, we are referring to individuals who have experienced discrimination based on the colour of their skin, race and/or their culture.
We guarantee to interview any candidate with a disability who meets the essential criteria for the role.