To join the professional cast of adult actors, we are on the lookout for three local boys to play the role of Shane (performing on alternate dates during the run) and so we are inviting boys between the ages of 8 and 14 to audition.
Auditions will be held on Saturday 20 May at Derby Cathedral on Iron Gate. The boys will be asked to prepare short excerpts from the script. Previous acting experience is preferred but not essential, just lots of energy, passion for performing and commitment. Individual audition slots will be available throughout the day, and each will last no more than 15 minutes. We are casting the character of Shane:
- Shane (to be played by a boy with a playing age, and who looks, between 11 and 14 years of age, but their actual age can be anywhere between 8 and 14 – i.e. at the time of Tuesday 29 August). There are a significant number of lines to learn for this role. The character of Shane is a working-class Northern lad trying to understand the adult world from his young perspective. He introduces the adult characters within the play.
How to book an audition slot and key information
- Audition slots will be available to book via the Derby Theatre website from 10am on Monday 15 May.
- Audition slots are limited, so early booking is strongly recommended, and they will be issued on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Booking a slot does not guarantee your audition slot, it will only be confirmed once you return a completed participation form within a certain time period. Participation forms will be sent to those who have been successful in booking an audition slot.
- We will not be holding auditions on any other day
- Auditionees must be residing within a DE postcode area.
- Once all audition slots are full, we will operate a waiting list. If you are unsuccessful in securing a slot and would like to be placed on a waiting list, please email Stephanie Andrews (Arts Administrator for Creative Programmes) at: firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Brassed Off Young Auditions Waiting List’ in the subject line of your email. Please do not call the Theatre, including the Box Office number.
For those successful in securing a confirmed audition slot
- Relevant scenes of the script will be sent out in advance of the audition date, so that they can be prepared.
- We will cast three teams of three young actors. Each team will perform on a rotational basis during the run.
- The main rehearsals, with the professional company of actors, will commence on Tuesday 29 August. The young actors need to be available on this date, as well as Thursday 21 August and for the large part of the full rehearsal period (between Tuesday 29 August and Friday 29 September), as well as being available throughout the full run of the show. The production will run from Friday 29 September until Saturday 28 October.
- As time out of school will be required, we will make all the necessary steps and contact schools and apply for Child Performance Licenses.
More about Brassed Off
Following a smash-hit, sell-out run in 2015, Derby Theatre’s production of the immensely popular Brassed Off returns to the main stage for autumn 2023! Love, loss, faith and flugelhorns.
Strikes. Cost of living crisis. It’s 1992 and the miners are striking as their local colliery faces closure. Danny’s dreams of leading the pit’s brass band to victory at a national competition at the Albert Hall seem remote as the men choose between picket lines and redundancy packages. But when Flugelhorn – playing Gloria returns to her home town the band get their oompah back and romance is rekindled with her childhood sweetheart Andy. However, when the real reason for Gloria’s return is revealed and the pressures of the strike get too much for the band members, things start to fall out of tune…
Brassed Off is a much-loved tale, full of heart and humour made right here in Derby and this much-welcomed return of the show will feature most of the cast from the Theatre’s original production in 2015. Balancing grit and wit with a poignant look at recent history, the performance also features live music from local, award-winning brass band, Derwent Brass to deliver a thrilling night at theatre.